Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Happy Holidays!

Wednesday is the day the Library staff throws its annual holiday extravaganza for our student workers. It's our way of thanking our students for their hard work and many contributions to the library. When I came to Montevallo in 1999, the Library staff told me that I was to bring the cheese ball. Apparently, the previous director had always made this particular cheese ball, and the staff really liked it. So I tracked down the recipe, and I've made the cheese ball ever since.

This cheese ball is always a hit. I think it has a lot to do with the quantity of cream cheese and butter that go into it.

Curious? Here's the recipe!

2 8 oz packages of cream cheese -- it's okay to use low fat, but the non-fat will not set up properly

1 stick butter (1/2 cup)

Soften the butter and cream cheese at room temperature. Mix them together thoroughly. Blend in 1 cup of chopped dates and 2 or 3 tablespoons of brandy. Roll into a ball and refrigerate overnight.

Before serving, roll the ball in 1/2 to 1 cup toasted almonds.

Serve with crackers.

Enjoy!

No comments: