Carmichael Library Introduces ILLiad!
Interlibrary Loan is changing this semester! Carmichael Library now uses ILLiad, the Interlibrary Loan Internet Accessible Database.
With ILLiad, Interlibrary Loan is no longer a big deal. It’s easy to use and much faster than the old system. This is great news because when you need an article or book for a project—you need it, like, yesterday, right? Right!
With ILLiad, there are no more time-consuming, research-halting forms to fill out!! Clicking “Request this item” in many databases will do the work for you. There is also a “Free Text” option in ILLiad where you can cut and paste an entire citation into a request form. Dr. Kathy King, English professor, calls this “a BEE-U-TI-FUL thing!” And it really is!
But wait! There’s more!
With ILLiad’s electronic delivery service (called Odyssey) it’s entirely possible to get an article within an hour of requesting it—that’s crazy fast! It doesn’t happen with every request; normally you will receive articles within a few business days.
Typically, books are delivered in less than a week. To speed up the delivery process, we always borrow from Birmingham-area libraries first, and then we branch out to neighboring states—but even out-of-state books tend to arrive within seven days.
Other things ILLiad allows you to do:
- Request books or individual articles either from databases or through Carmichael’s Interlibrary Loan homepage
- Keep track of the requests as they are processed by Carmichael & whatever library decides to lend the items to you
- Keep track of due dates and your loan history
- Renew items online
- Receive PDF articles electronically—they are delivered right to your UM email!
- Receive notification the second a book is checked in at Carmichael—you’ll pick up your books at the circulation desk.
SO GET STARTED!
to create your own ILLiad account!
And remember, if you have any trouble finding the right resources, the Carmichael Librarians and the Interlibrary Loan department are glad to help—seriously, we want you to ask for help! We ENJOY questions and the opportunity to help you find what you’re looking for—even if you’re not sure what it is.